28/07 UPDATE: Fredrik Sträng K2 Summit 2017 | Summit Abort and Reattempt Through Cecen Route

A few updates about the Fredrik Sträng Sigma K2017 Expedition have come through as follows.

Dispatch #10 Summit Re-Attempt Summit Via Cesen Route

28 July 2017 Fredrik Decides to Re-Attempt Summit Via Different Route

On 28 July at 8:00 P.M. EST, Fredrik’s contact updated his progress by stating that Fredrik and his partner would attempt the summit again. He congratulated the successful summiteers on K2 and Broad Peak and stated that his route plan had changed. He will now approach the summit via the Cesen Route due to “bad conditions on Abruzzi.”

He apologizes for not being able to keep updates coming due to his broken SAT device.

27 July 2017 Sträng Returns to BC – No Summit

On 28 July, Fredrik Sträng returned to Base Camp after aborting the ascent at approx. 24,278 ft (7,400 meters) due to bad weather. Dangerous conditions were met, which included little visibility, waist-deep snow and avalanches.

Fredrik and his climbing partner, Ali Musa, will now wait and think about what to do depending on the next days’ weather.

The Polish team is also back in BC and all climbers here are well and fit for another ascent if the weather and conditions improve.

The sat-phone connection has been very poor and therefore the lack of updates. -Fredrik Sträng

25 July 2017 Summit Window Possibility

As mentioned in our last Dispatch, Fredrik’s contact person updated his social feed with the following information:

July 21, the satellite phone broke down. The weather is still bad. It has been snowing continuously with heavy winds on K2. On July 24th, Fredrik advanced to camp 2, which is 6 700 on meters. Today, July 25, the climbers are stuck in camp 2 because of the weather conditions. No expedition has yet reached to camp 3 and 4. The weather window should take place tomorrow 26-27 July, and then the decision is made to go for camp 4 and then continue to the summit the day after.

We are confident Sträng will make the right decision for himself and his abilities. He is a responsible climber, and we’ve always given him credit for knowing when to turn around and identifying when he feels a summit attempt is the correct choice.

Whether or not a summit occurs, we will be proud of his accomplishments and grateful to have been able to follow his expedition to K2 this year.

About Fredrik Sträng

fredrik strang and swedish flag

Fredrik Sträng proud of the Swedish flag (Facebook)

Fredrik Sträng is a Swedish climber, personal trainer and motivational speaker. Sträng has summited 8 of the world’s 8,000 m. peaks, and in 2017, Sträng will be attempting K2 again. He has worked with charitable organizations through the years to help those in need and has been given various awards including Male Adventurer of the Year twice in 2007 and 2010. Sträng is partnered with Sigma Technology. To learn more about Sträng, read “Get to Know Climber Fredrik Sträng.”

Fredrik Sträng Facebook PageFredrik Sträng Webpage, and LinkedIn.

Follow our dispatches of Fredrik Sträng’s K2017 Expedition here.

All Fredrik Sträng K2 2017 Dispatches

4 responses to “28/07 UPDATE: Fredrik Sträng K2 Summit 2017 | Summit Abort and Reattempt Through Cecen Route

  1. Oh my God. I truly hope that he weighs the risks and makes a good choice. Only he knows what he should do, no one else is up there to see what he is up against. Prayers. I did see the backlash in my news thread too. Everyone always has criticisms.

    Like

    • If I were to be told that there was only one positive thing I could say about this climber, it would be that he is a responsible climber that knows what he is doing and knows when to turn around and when to keep going. It is something I have said always. I have faith in his wisdom and his power.

      Like

  2. Pingback: Routes Up to K2’s Summit | Base Camp Magazine·

  3. Pingback: K2: The King of Mountains | Base Camp Magazine·

Comments are closed.